Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Yeehaw!

Yeehaw my first blog post. And boy is my butt killing me. Went riding today in the nice weather. Very fun, challenging lesson. Most of the winter I have been working with my friend Nitro - a bay mustang about 14 hands high give or take. He is fun, likes to go fast when inspired and is a punk.. in a good way! But today I got to ride A.J., the other mustang - who is probably about 15.2 or so.

It is really nice to be able to ride and get to know the same horse for a while (especially if you don't own one!) But going from a smaller horse to a larger one (or vice versa) requires a big adjustment in how you use your muscles and the speed of their gaits... longer legs, faster gaits! So it was fun... but I felt like a wimp because I got tired really easily!!! But, I got to break out my new hot pink fleece saddle pad. WOO!

One of the things that I've realized riding as an adult (and not a kids being screamed at) is that, dammit, if you can't hold the half seat or your back is going to spaz out from trotting without stirrups - STOP for goodness sake, don't wait until your teacher tells you to stop. This of course, is after having pulled my back out as a result of the aforementioned trotting. Of course pushing yourself to try new things you didn't think you could do is how you become a better athelte - but not if your body is telling you it need more time/flexibility/training in order to try that something new.

Next riding goal for this summer...now that I don't lose my left stirrup at the canter any more...be able to canter without stirrups and/or bareback again. Such a freeing feeling to be relaxed, balanced and strong.

No comments: